Description, dive plan and recommendations.
Austro-Hungarian steamship Tihany was built in Trieste in 1908 ( length of 45.40 meters , width 5.75 meters and a gross displacement of 204 tonnes). Tihany was used as a transportation ship bringing on engine oil and coal . On 12th of February 1917 Tihany got stranded due to bad weather conditions and poor navigation. The rescue operation ended in failure and the steamship sank near the Island of Mamula.
Shipwreck Tihany lies on sandy bottom on 40 m depth . It is in one peace and well preserved ( Shipwreck GPS coordinates : 42:23:990 N/18:33:459 E ) . Although being at the maximum depth for recreational divers this wreck is one of the most visited dive sites in Montenegro.
The shipwreck is not marked so it is necessary to establish the reference line which will be used for both descending and ascending. During this dive visibility is very good and sea current is gentle. To exceed the bottom time it is recommended to explore the wreck diving just above the shipwreck deck which is on 35m depth. Penetration into the wreck is possible but allowed only for Wreck Speciality certified divers. Maximum bottom time is 15 minutes , absolute bottom time is 35 minutes with safety stop included.
- Tihany dive site is permitted for all advanced certified divers with addition of Deep diving speciality certificate.
- It is recommended to mark the dive site with diving marking buoys.
- Surface support is required.
- Maximum depth is 40 m.
- Water temperature varies from 12°C to 25°C.
- Sea currents are negligible.
- Visibility is good ranging from 10 to 20 m.
- It is recommended to use a wet suit with thickness from 5-7 mm
SCUBA diving in Montenegro with us is Safe and Fun